Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Back from Retreat!!


I've been back since Sunday but have not had a chance to sit down and do a decent job on a blog post so I just didn't post at all. Retreat was a blast! Well, there was one minor little uh oh but for the most part, everyone had a great time. Mary Ann and I arrived at the Roger's House about 2:30.

We checked in, chatted with Nora, our innkeeper, about what our needs were regarding a stitching area and before we knew it, the rest of the group were there! Things were going swimmingly until Mary arrived. As you come into the house there are 3 stairs leading up to the main floor and she missed the last step and fell. She says she heard and felt something pop as she fell and then her leg started spasming. At this point in the story I feel I must tell you that I have a confession to make. I'm a sick sick person. Here's poor Mary, writhing on the floor with pain and what do I do??? I take a picture!! I know, how rude of me. There's Connie massaging her spasming muscle, Carole bending over giving words of encouragement and Julie with camera in hand recording it for all time. I should be shot.

Mary was able to get up into a sitting position after about 45 minutes and from there we helped her to a chair. We all thought it was just muscle spasms and were hoping with ice and then heat that she would be okay by the end of the evening. Unfortunately this was not the case and after one last trip down the stairs to the powder room at about 10:30 that night it was decided that as long as she was already down the stairs we should take her on out to the car and to the ER. The first report from the ER was not good. The Dr. thought she might have fractured her pelvis when her hamstring muscle pulled away from it. Happily this theory was incorrect, turns out she had a severely sprained hamstring and they sent her home with Percoset, crutches, an order to not do any stairs and to see her family Dr. as soon as possible. The no stairs was going to be a problem. Just getting into the house required 5 stairs. There was no way she was going to make it up there. she is in a beautiful B & B, a gorgeous room just waiting for her and she has to sleep on the sofa.

She was a trooper about it though and before long was fast asleep. In the morning, Mary's sister was going to come and pick her and her mom Lois up and take them home. It's amazing though the recuperative powers of a drug induced sleep. Mary felt much much better in the morning and was able to move around more easily so the decision was made to call off the sister pick up and Mary and Lois were able to stay for the entire weekend. She never did make it up the stairs to see her room so next time Mary you can have your pick of rooms. You deserve it for being so brave this weekend.

Mary and Lois discussing the fall.

While Mary was off getting drugs the rest of us stayed up to wait for news on her condition. We stitched and chatted but all the while we worried about what they would find. It was after 2:00 a.m. when they got back to the house and close to 3:00 a.m. by the time we got her all tucked in and we could seek our own beds. Most of us were a bit wired and stayed up reading before we went to sleep so it was a very short night. I got up, showered and was headed down the stairs by 8:30. I thought I was going to be one of the first up but as I came down the stairs I could hear what sounded like a bunch of magpies chattering away! Turns out, I was one of the last up! Carole took the prize for very last one up though. We were getting worried about her so Merrilyn went up to check on her at 11:30ish and she was up but barely!

I think I will end my post here and post a part two tomorrow or the next day. It's a beautiful evening and I want to get out and take a quick walk. I hope you're enjoying the story so far, stay tuned for part 2!!

. Have a great evening!


Margaret said...

Oh my goodness! How awful for Mary! What a trooper though, for her to stay the weekend. I'm so glad the diagnosis wasn't what the doctor first thought! Hope the rest of the weekend went better!

Kim B said...

Poor Mary! What a trooper though! And you and the camera, that made me laugh!

idontknow said...

The camera part was really funny, I think there is a word for it....therapy, I'll bet the laughter made Mary feel better. I can't wait to see the paint!

jayne@~an eye for threads~ said...

Isn't it funny why we sometimes feel compelled to laugh at the wrong time? Wow and post it too. Double wow. I like your way. lol Poor Mary but the whole ordeal only added to the whole experience for everyone I am sure.
Be always in stitches.

Meari said...

I'm glad Mary didn't do worse damage than it was. You're naughty for recording in eternity, lol.

Deb said...

Oh my goodness - poor Mary! I'm glad that her injury wasn't worse! And you know, I'd probably take a picture too. Has blogging done that to us? :o)

pj said...

Looks like a great place Julie, where was the b&b? I love to stay in them and a retreat would be fun too. So sorry to hear of Mary's fall and I am sure you were all worried sick. Glad she got to stay and had such good support from friends. pj

Rachel S said...

I am glad she felt better. That would be a rotten way to start the weekend.